Saturday 2 August 2014

Food Distribution #2

Thank you once again for all the donations from Australia. You have helped feed many people and also provided Des and myself with one of the most emotional experiences of our lives.

I was asked to be present at the church hall at 10:00 am on Saturday, as there would be another distribution of maize flour to elders from 13 surrounding towns and villages. There was first the obligatory cup of tea, along with buttered bread. Representatives from the 13 areas slowly trickled in.

An aside: I have learned two new African sayings that seem to be very important here.
1. "Slowly, slowly and you do not wear yourself out".
2. "In hurrying there is no blessing".

Needless to say, the distribution did not start until 11:45. There were 60 bags of flour each containing twelve 2 kilo packets. My basic maths tells me that this equates to 1,440 kg.

The elders were very thankful, and many in their home location will now have some food until the harvest comes in. My big question is how they will get the flour home? Most come on hired motor bikes or in a matatu (taxi van crammed full of people). I wonder what the driver says when you tell him you have 250 kg of flour to take with you?
My friend Sammy tells me that they are so glad to receive the food that "they will find a way".

Once again, here are some pictures so that you can share in the experience:





And all this came in the back of a small Toyota station wagon - although I think it was two trips (this is the first load). They punish the suspension in this country.



In typical Kenyan fashion, each elder was called out one at a time. They were given their flour which they placed in a strategic location on the grass. Some looked at me waiting for their photo to be taken - I obliged.




Very much like a prize-giving ceremony, although there was no hand shaking and no long speeches.










I suggested that perhaps they should write their names on their pile of flour. I was assured that everyone knew exactly which was theirs and everyone else's!














No comments:

Post a Comment